From: Andrew G. Malis [mailto:Andy.Malis@vivacenetworks.com]
Sent: woensdag 29 januari 2003 0:29
To: mpls-members@mplsforum.org
Cc: Andy.Malis@vivacenetworks.com
Subject: [MPLS-MEMBERS] Important message regarding the MPLS Forum and
Frame Relay Forum - please read

It is my great pleasure to announce that the MPLS Forum and Frame Relay
Forum Boards of Directors have unanimously agreed on an intention to merge
the two organizations.

This has actually been informally in discussion for some time, as the
leadership of both Forums recognized that Frame Relay access is a perfect
compliment to MPLS at the network core. Indeed, there are already a number
of deployed commercial public services that provide FR access to MPLS core
networks.

The formal merger requires a vote of approval by the membership of both
forums; it is our goal to have this completed by March 31st, which is the
end of the Frame Relay Forum's fiscal year.

For the first year the combined organization will be known as the MPLS and
Frame Relay Alliance. Leadership of the Marketing and Education Committee
and Technical Committee will be shared between our two forums, and current
Frame Relay Forum members will have two seats on the combined Board of
Directors. Throughout 2003 we will move to combine all aspects of both
groups; in 2004 we will be a unified organization, both internally and
externally.

The public announcement of the proposed merger will take place tomorrow,
Wednesday, in the early morning. And for those of you who are here in Santa
Clara attending the Technical and Interoperability Committee meetings, I
will be providing more details during the Opening Plenary.

On a personal note, as someone with a long history of involvement in both
of these organizations - I was active in the FRF for 10 years, starting in
its early days - I am very pleased to see this Frame Relay Forum/MPLS Forum
alliance. I am confident that both forums, and the industry at large, will
benefit tremendously as a result.

Regards,
Andy Malis
Chairman and President, MPLS Forum