RE: I have heard this a few times now

--On 29. januar 2003 15:00 +0100 "Wijnen, Bert (Bert)" <bwijnen@lucent.com> wrote:

> Now... some of that probably has to do with the fact that
> so much of the Internet indeed runs on PS instead of DS
> or STD.

I think that that is indeed the point.  Worse yet, if we get something
noticeably wrong, often the fix will break compatibility, causing
serious pushback.

So I think we (IESG most noticably I think) have been going in this
direction over a number of years, but we never sough community
consensus that this was/is indeed the right thing to do.
My impression is that the community agrees that it should be right. "Low quality of output" has been frequently cited as a problem - perhaps even more often than "IESG delay".
My impression is also that the community has supported such efforts as DRUMS and the SIP rewrite - not IESG driven, but community driven. (Not that DRUMS was driven very fast - but it DID conclude, eventually).

I we do get community consensus on this, then I would think it
might help/explain/motivate authors/editors/wg-chairs/reviewers
to HELP us all to get better quality in the beginning instead
of getting complaints about us (the IESG as a last resort) to
do so much pushback on PERCEIVED details.
It's very rare that I've seen a technical nits pushback be rejected with "we shouldn't have to fix this" - the authors seem to want things to be perfect, too. (Boilerplate and formatting nits are another matter, of course).

Harald