Re: Status of RADIUS

At Sat, 01 Feb 2003 09:17:54 -0800, Harald Tveit Alvestrand wrote:

> tangential.... I think the IETF needs some recognizable entities that are
> able to handle things when a WG isn't "there". And the IESG is not "it".

this was one of the things we kicked around nearly a decade ago when
the iesg (or some members of it) expressed a desire to shut down the
old dns wg.  at that time some of us believed that a directorate (at
that time, an area directorate, although a technology-specific
directorate might make more sense) might fill that role, on the theory
that in essence they would be advising the ad on whether it was time
to start a new wg, or, if not, on how best to handle the "thing".

whether this is a -good- solution is another question ("when all you
have is a hammer, all your problems look like screws" --stev knowles).