Re: aaaa rrs, icann, and rssac

On måndag, feb 3, 2003, at 20:04 Europe/Stockholm, Rob Austein wrote:

for those for whom it may not be obvious, the critical aspect of the
technical issue is almost certainly the question of what aaaa rrs do
to dns response message sizes.  the dns directorate discussed this
many moons ago, but what notes we took were on the back of soggy beer
coasters (cooper's, i think), so i doubt that any record survived
beyond the (obsolete by the time it was published, sigh) a6 rr
discussion in rfc 3226.
I think most discussions about AAAA glue in root zone got mixed up with AAAA for root servers, and v6 transport to root servers. So, I don't think I ever (including DNS Directorate) have been in a discussion where the bones are separated from the meat clearly enough.

Personally, I think allowing AAAA glue in root zone for TLD's are ok. If a TLD have so many NS that it breaks the size of the bucket, that is up to the TLD. In the case of .JP, they have 6 NS records, and a response is 255 bytes. Without counting, I ask myself if not AAAA would fit as well.

This if someone need a response from me _today_.

paf -- fish for dinner today