Re: Evaluation: draft-ietf-simple-presence - A Presence Event Package for the Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) to Proposed Standard

Ack!

paf

On måndag, feb 3, 2003, at 20:41 Europe/Stockholm, ned.freed@mrochek.com wrote:

Please return the full line with your position.

Yes No-Objection Discuss * Abstain

Ned Freed [ ] [ ] [ X ] [ ]

[My concern can easily be addressed by an RFC Editor note; no need to delay the
document for it]

The (brief) discussion of the pres: URL in draft-ietf-simple-presence
concerns me. It says:

A presentity is identified in the most general way through a presence
URI [3], which is of the form pres:user@domain. These URIs are
protocol independent. They are resolved to protocol specific URIs,
such as a SIP or SIPS URI, through domain-specific mapping policies.

This doesn't make it clear that while the mapping policies may vary from
domain to domain, the way those policies are expressed does not. I
suggest changing this to read:

A presentity is identified in the most general way through a presence
URI [3], which is of the form pres:user@domain. These URIs are
protocol independent. They are resolved to protocol specific URIs,
such as a SIP or SIPS URI, through the mapping algorithm specified in
[5] and domain-specific mapping policies.

One additional nit: These drafts have reference entries of the form:

[5] D. H. Crocker and J. Peterson, "Address resolution for instant
messaging and presence," internet draft, Internet Engineering Task
Force, Dec. 2002. Work in progress.

I really don't like this: I want to see the name of the Internet Draft in there
somewhere. Perhaps some folks keep a mapppint of the draft titles to draft
id name in their heads, but I'm not one of them so this omission makes
chasing the references fairly painful.

Ned