Re: alcatel patent

> they have ipr in the general area.  who determines if it is near
> us and they should file?  i would guess that we would like a similar
> disclaimer or an ipr filing.

Seems like the process is fairly clear. IF someone thinks that Company
Foo has any IPR with regards to a particular WG effort or ID, they can
ask the secretariat to send that vendor a letter asking them for
clarification and comment. At that point, the ball would be in Foo's
court.

Since in this case the patent number is available, presumably someone
in the IETF could go and have a look and see if we might need to
worry. But this is something the IESG doesn't need to necessarily be
directly involved in. We just might want to point some WG individuals
to the patent number and let them see if they believe there is worth
following up on.

Thomas