Re: sole-sourceing IANA function to ICANN for next 3 years (fwd)

At 08:52 AM 2/4/2003 -0800, James Kempf wrote:
> we have tried - going as far up as Nancy Victory - we get the same nodding
> of heads and no change in reality

Hmm, I wonder if the barrier to reality change is above her? Perhaps the
higher-ups just don't care.

I _suspect_ that the barrier to change ins the rainbow-colored papers of some years
back. i.e. we are grappling with an historical decision, not an individual or
an office or agency.

I _suspect_ that a change to the contract would be seen as a change in policy, and
a change in policy may well require yet more rainbow-colored documents
being circulated.

Not a pleasant prospect for anyone if this is indeed the case.

But I live under a different bureaucracy and I'm not sure that I understand how it works
at this level of detail within the US.

Geoff