Re: Experimental RFC to be: draft-stoica-diffserv-dps-01.txt

I'd like to answer the objections regarding the fact that
DPS would violate e2e properties of IP.

DPS can be implemented in several ways:

1) use an IP option

2) use a label between layer 2 and layer 3 (like or
in conjunction with MPLS)

3)  Use PHB codepoints and ip_off field.

I don't think there are questions with respect to
methods (1) and (2) as they are already in use today.

With respect to (3) note that we propose
to use only PHB codepoints which are not allocated
yet and ip_off filed, but only if this field is zero. Furthermore,
ip_off is restored to zero when it exits a DPS domain.
If ip_off is not equal to zero, ip_off is *not* modified
(i.e., these packets are ignored by DPS).
Thus, what happens in a DPS domain is completly
transparent to end-hosts. So, I'm not sure how
would this affect IP e2e properties. (Obviously,
I'm ignoring here bugs, which I agree, can be
a serious issue in practice).

In summary I have two questions:

- Would it be possible to get a more specific
  reason of why DPS would break IP?

- If the answer to the previous question is
  conclusive and positive, would it be then
  acceptable to publish the RFC using methods
  (1) and (2) to encode the state?

Thanks,

Ion