Re: please advise

--On fredag, februar 14, 2003 00:50:20 +0800 Ken Ryan <ken.ryan@operamail.com> wrote:

Gentlemen,

Last October ICANN solicited comments on its Plan of Action Regarding New
gTLDs. I wrote a suggestion – still available at URL
http://forum.icann.org/gtld-plan-comments/general/msg00014.html.
Although ICANN is mandated to oversee policy for determining “the
circumstances under which new top level domains would be added” Mr. Lynn
responded that my suggestion was a question for the IETF.

I suggest extending the character set used within the DNS to include e.g.
“#” or “*” which would allow the addition of a numeric qualifier to
otherwise identical domain names. This would permit registration of both
“lotus*2.com” and “lotus*3.com” as separate explicit domain names. At the
same time it would allow multiple use of the implicit domain name
“lotus.com” since the “*” could function as a wildcard character to allow
directories (outside the DNS) of name owners, content type, etc.
Ken,
this may be considered a rhetorical question - but what is the advantage, in your mind, of lotus*1.com over lotus-1.com?
Given that you don't suggest any different *rules* for the # and * characters than for the existing characters, I can't see offhand what the difference is.

Harald