DRAFT: On the issue of name assignment for identifiers

PROPOSED message.
Problem: I DID NOT FIND the original message where bob proposed this. And the examples should be real. Someone help?
Bob,

the IESG has discussed the idea that one should allocate identifiers for RSVP values (or other values) in such a way that the formal identifier includes the name of the source standards organization, such as using
TEMP_FALURE_ITU instead of TEMP_FAILURE for an RSVP error code.
(***note*** need the real example!)

The IESG thinks that including semantics-irrelevant stuff in identifiers is not a slope we want to start down - after all, many identifiers have very many classifications that some could want to include as part of an identifier.

Calling out in the identifier registry who the sponsoring organization is in addition to where the identifier's semantics is documented, such as saying, for example,

100 TEMP_FAILURE (ITU-T X.gxf) [RFC 3456]

is, however, an idea that we think is good, and that we wish to recommend to the IANA.

Harald Alvestrand for the IESG.