Re: Promoting the IETF meetings

On Tuesday, Feb 18, 2003, at 10:42 America/Montreal, Jeffrey I. Schiller wrote:
But do we really need more tourists as the way to solve this? We've
kicked around the idea of having a tutorial associated with the IETF
meeting (but I would want the "tourist" types to leave after the
tutorial). I am sure we can brainstorm other ways to make money, and
provide value to the community, without cluttering up our face to face
meetings.

			-Jeff
Agree with Jeff and Eric Rescorla.

I don't per se object to the mention by ISoc on their web page,
but I do think that "more revenue" is not a good or reasonable justification
for that action.

As to IETF costs, raising meeting fees is not be out of the question.

Another approach might be to have a fee associated with I-D submission
(or at least for I-Ds that aren't official WG draft-ietf-something-*.txt
or IRTF I-D or IAB I-D). Ongoing Secretariat costs are at least
loosely related to I-D processing.

Eric Rescorla is quite right that IETF needs to migrate to a revenue
structure that is more nearly proportional to IETF's cost structure.
The incoming IESG & IAB should find ways to work on this during the next
year, IMHO.

Ran