RE: Telechat agenda topic: Does an IANA maintained MIB require an RFC?

Some IANA maintained MIB modules (like the IANAifType-MIB)
have been published in an an RFC (IANAifType-MIB in RFC1573).

When new revisions come out (like RFC2233 and RFC2863, which
obsolete RFC1573), the IANAifType-MIB module was dropped
(it is kind of undoable to keep it in sync, and the module
maitained on the IANA website is the authoritative version).

So a question has now come up amon the MIB doctors if we
should require that a IANA-maintained-MIB module-to-be
is published in an RFC or not. We seem to have 3 options.

1. require the initial version to be in an RFC. Make sure that
   some statement is made that the authoritative version is
   at the IANA web pages.
2. require initial version to be in an I-D for normal IETF
   approval process, but to be removed just before RFC gets
   published. It would be replaced with a ptr to the web
   page that contains the authoritative IANA mantained module
3. leave it up to a WG how to do it.

I personally favor option 1.
But the MIB doctors do not have consensus.
A few are very vehement that option 2 is the right way.

Are there IESG view/opinions on this?

Bert