Re: wg list discipline

--On fredag, februar 21, 2003 09:17:10 +0100 Erik Nordmark <Erik.Nordmark@sun.com> wrote:

I wonder if the folks that respond to Keith can be
convinced to not respond to postings which to not discuss the text in
the specification in order to make progress. If they care about getting
the document done then there is some chance that they would.
Talking to Keith (as in "pick up the phone") might help, too. He's not dumb or intentionally obstructionist, but I think he has problems seeing what he looks like from the outside....

I've seen him behave much more reasonably in cases where he felt that he was being listened to; it's the cases where he feels that he is right but being ignored that seem to send him off into the "reply-to-everything" mode.

In the case of the ICANN DNSO General Assembly (by far the worst list *I* have ever moderated), I had to institute a policy of five messages per day, one warning, and then suspension for a week on second offense. Was seen as reasonably fair, and people recognized the need. But that was a very special mailing list..... and I also had to institute a policy of kicking Jeff Williams clones off the list, as part of the overall policy set. Rule-based enforcement is NOT easy....

Harald