RE: Last Call: Multicast Router Discovery to Proposed Standard

IESG:

The IANA has reviewed the following Internet-Draft which is
in Last Call: <draft-ietf-idmr-igmp-mrdisc-10.txt>, and
has the following comments with regards to the publication of
this document:

Here is the IANA Considerations section with inline comments:

   This document introduces three new IGMP messages.  Each of these
   messages requires a new IGMP 'Type' value.  This document requests
   IANA to assign three new IGMP 'Type' values to the Multicast Router
   Discovery protocol (for Advertisements, Solicitations, and
   Terminations).

This seems OK.  These registrations will be made in the following
registry:

<http://www.iana.org/assignments/igmp-type-numbers>

   IPv6 support requests the allocation of two new Neighbor Discovery
   Option Types to support the mandatory Multicast Router Discovery
   options (found in Sections 7.2 and 7.3).

We are not sure where the above registrations should go.  Can we get
a clarification?

   IPv4 support of this protocol requires the administration of the
   Multicast Router Discovery option space.  This document requests that
   options be allocated using an IESG Approval or Standards Action
   processes.  In addition, this document requests that the options
   defined, the Query Interval Advertisement option (Section 7.2) and
   the Robustness Variable Advertisement option (Section 7.3) be
   allocated the values specified in the respective sections.

   This protocol also requests the creation of a new IANA registry to
   manage the Multicast Router Discovery Code Values for IPv4 support.
   New Code Values for the Multicast Router Discovery Type values are
   allocated using IESG Approval or Standards Action processes.

We understand a new registry for Multicast Router Discovery Code
Values for IPv4 support needs to be created.  Are the above 2
paragraphs referring to the same registry.  We see the TBDs in
section 7.2 and 7.3 for the IPv6 types but no TBDs for IPv4 types.
Also, is there a range of values for this registry or is there
an infinite number?  Please clarify.

Please respond to the IANA about our concerns with regards to this
document.  Failing to do so may cause delay of the approval and
publication of your document.

Thank you.

Michelle S. Cotton
(on behalf of the IANA)