RE: Last Call: Multicast Router Discovery to Proposed Standard

>   This document introduces three new IGMP messages.  Each of these
>   messages requires a new IGMP 'Type' value.  This document requests
>   IANA to assign three new IGMP 'Type' values to the Multicast Router
>   Discovery protocol (for Advertisements, Solicitations, and
>   Terminations).
>
>This seems OK.  These registrations will be made in the following
>registry:
>
><http://www.iana.org/assignments/igmp-type-numbers>

This is somewhat unorthodox, but as I served as the IGMP type registrar
before RFC 3228, and I assigned values for this proposal a long time
ago, I'd like to request specific values: 0x24 for Multicast Router
Advertisement Message, 0x25 for Multicast Router Solicitation Message,
0x26 for Multicast Router Termination Message.

>   IPv6 support requests the allocation of two new Neighbor Discovery
>   Option Types to support the mandatory Multicast Router Discovery
>   options (found in Sections 7.2 and 7.3).
>
>We are not sure where the above registrations should go.  Can we get
>a clarification?

They are IPv6 Neighbor Discovery Options, listed under the
heading "IPv6 NEIGHBOR DISCOVERY OPTION FORMATS" in
http://www.iana.org/assignments/icmpv6-parameters

>We understand a new registry for Multicast Router Discovery Code
>Values for IPv4 support needs to be created.  Are the above 2
>paragraphs referring to the same registry.  We see the TBDs in
>section 7.2 and 7.3 for the IPv6 types but no TBDs for IPv4 types.

It is the same registry.  The document assigns values 1 and 2 in the
IPv4 MRD option space.  The range of values is 0-255, presumably
reserving 0 and 255 per tradition.

  Bill