Re: Proposed update to smime charted

At 11:20 AM 3/7/2003 +0100, Harald Tveit Alvestrand wrote:
Thanks!

--On torsdag, mars 06, 2003 15:08:09 -0500 Russ Housley <housley@vigilsec.com> wrote:

I would like to clean up the charter of the S/MIME WG before passing the
working group off to a new chair.  Attached is my proposed update.
Please let me know if you have any concerns with this proposal.
Some nits:

what are RSA PSS and RSA KEM?
They are mentioned in the milestones, but I couldn't see anything that I recognized as a reference to them in the body of the charter. It's possible that it is in the first "algorithm" paragraph - is there value in saying anything about the specific list you intend to address, or in saying a few words about how the group will evaluate whether or not to pursue an algorithm?
Multiple algorithms generally harm interoperability, so there needs to be some justification for adding more of them.....
RSA PSS is a digital signature algorithm.

RSA KEM is a key transport algorithm.

I would rather not limit the algorithms that the charter allows the WG to address. It is hard to tell when an important algorithm will surface.

Language; there are a few sections that start off rather suddenly - I have a little trouble parsing

S/MIME version 3 and later, CMS is used to provide security to the
message content if an Internet mail message.
I suspect it's just missing a leading "In".
Thanks for the careful read.  I will fix this.

Similarly

Perform necessary interoperability testing to progress the S/MIME
specifications to Draft Standard.
I think this means "The working group members will..."

intro to IESG formalism.... when you send this to iesg@ietf.org, the secretariat will assume that this is just for information and asking for feedback from the IESG, and the secretariat doesn't have to do anything.

When you want official action, you send a mail (with the charter in it) to iesg-secretary@ietf.org, asking them to send out the WG REVIEW message (which will go to the IESG, the IAB and the WG chairs).
Thanks.  I'll do that after I make the adjustments above.

Russ