Re: [iesg-secretary #5788] FW: draft-ietf-forces-requirements-08

Your request #5788 was resolved by jhargest:

IESG: FYI

Guys-

 I'm still waiting for a reply from Randy, but I don't want
 to hold you more. Scott is fine with the doc (in fact he
 was fine with my answers), and here's the feedback from
 the SEC AD:

> Back on 26 November (Randy, maybe that will help you locate your
> comment), I said
>

>    7(2)(c) suggests TLS as an option.  But 7(6) says that the protocol
>    runs on top of an unreliable datagram protocol.  TLS requires a
>    reliable stream.  This contradiction should be resolved.
>
> Their response was to change "TLS" to "TLS (if transport is reliable)".
> They left alone the text that says "the ForCES protocol SHALL assume that
> it runs on top of an unreliable, datagram service."  To me, that still
> looks like a contradiction.
>
> The right answer is either to use their own security mechanism, but
> then they'd need seriously-expert help from the security area to design
> it, or to use IPsec.  *But* -- while a requirements document doesn't
> need to specify all the things that draft-bellovin-useipsec calls for,
> they need to show some signs of having thought through the
> requirements.  For example -- an IKE exchange is a half-dozen messages,
> plus some expensive calculations.  Is the link good enough for that?
> Does the box have the horsepower to do the exponentiations?  Instead,
> do they need something like KINK or SNMPv3-style key management?  These
> really are requirements-level questions, since the answers turn on the
> operating environment they're assuming.

Please let me know what you think about this.
Thanks.

--
Alex