-----Original Message-----
From: Kireeti Kompella [mailto:kireeti@juniper.net]
Sent: zondag 2 maart 2003 5:55
To: Wijnen, Bert (Bert)
Cc: Scott Bradner (E-mail); Ron Bonica (E-mail); Loa Andersson (E-mail);
George Swallow (E-mail); Kireeti Kompella
Subject: RFC3474-to-be comments

Hi Bert,

On Thu, 27 Feb 2003, Wijnen, Bert (Bert) wrote:

> Kireeti... I think you claimed this a while ago too.

It's not a matter of claiming.  It's right at the beginning of the
draft: Introduction, para 3.

> You have still to prove to me (maybe I am thick here)
> where and how that heppend. Can you point it out to me
> please.

If you haven't had a chance to read it, here is the para:

   Note that from the perspective of the ASON model ResvErr and ResvTear
   messages are not used. For backwards compatibility, when an ASON-
   compliant GMPLS node receives either a ResvErr or ResvTear as a
   response during the setup phase of message exchange, the GMPLS-ASON
   node should instead issue a PathTear message downstream and a PathErr
   (with Path_State_Removed flag set) message upstream. This is so that
   RSVP states are immediately removed upon error during the setup
   process.

It explicitly states that ResvErr and ResvTear are not used.  It
also changes the semantics of these two messages in a fundamental
way.  It glibly states that "RSVP states are immediately removed",
without even realizing that there are separate *Path* states and *Resv*
states, and only the Path states will be removed.  Making fundamental
changes to a protocol like this without really understanding the
protocol, without consulting the experts, without doing a WG/IETF
Last Call is to my mind an unacceptable means of progressing
documents.  I understand that since RSVP doesn't officially have
IANA Considerations, the allocation of code points is FCFS.  But
that doesn't give carte blanche to change the *behaviour* of the
protocol without review.

I think that a WG Last Call would have helped to clarify the
intent and perhaps converge on a solution that doesn't require
modifying RSVP in this way, or find some other way around this.

Perhaps you think I raise this just to be difficult -- your tone
seems to indicate that.  I don't know SNMP well enough to give a
good analogy, but I'll try: If the ITU-T (or Lucent) decides that
traps are no longer needed in SNMP, and for backward compatibility,
when a trap is to be generated, a UDP message is sent to port 6543,
would you allow that to be published as an RFC without discussion?

I am very tired of fighting this battle.  All I am asking is that
these documents go through review -- not by me, but by those who
know RSVP. and by those who understand the requirements.  All I
get is grief from you -- that I am guilty until I am proven
innocent -- and that the Lucent guys are innocent until proven
guilty.  This issue has been raised multiple times, but I don't
see the authors getting grief, just me.

Do you think you are approaching this with an open mind?

Kireeti.