Re: how to deal with liaison statements

At 07:53 PM 3/12/2003 -0500, Scott  Bradner wrote:
one of the topics that has come up on various lists over the last few weeks (most strongly on some of the sub-ip lists) is the issue of how the IETF deals (or actually does not deal) with liaison statements from other organizations
easy. tell the organization to send a person to say what the liaison statement says. In my experience, the person says something very different, and very much more intelligent, than the letter. :^)

OK, so I read it. Basically, he says that a liaison is a letter from one organization to another, and sometimes wants a response from the other organization from the corresponding opposite number and at the same level. What he describes is very much "here's how we do it in the ITU; you should do the same thing."

OK, even I can write a letter, if the format looks mostly like an email...

My only real comment is that the ITU has never sent us the liaisons that we asked them to send us, regarding new work that they wanted to take on, and the liaisons I have seen from them and others have mostly been horribly useless. I didn't even understand the one from Hal Folts in SG 16 telling ieprep that there was an organization in the ITU that we should be corresponding with and taking direction from until I asked him about it, and then my answer was as simple as I could make it - silence. I had no intention of taking direction from anyone at the ITU, especially Hal Folts, and most especially since Hal Folts works in the IETF. I have not followed the work in SG 15; it may differ from that in SGs 16, 13, 11, and 3. But we could discuss the inability of Roy Blane to understand the subject being discussed between SG3 and enum, the irrational nonsense we get from SGs 11 and 13, and so on. My stomach would be happier not having to think about it.

If ITU wants to send us useful liaisons, I suspect that it won't be too hard to generate replies to them that they would consider useful even if we're hicks from the hinterlands. If they want to continue in the direction they are going, I don't think an explanation of "what is a liaison and what am I supposed to do with it" will be helpful. We hicks from the hinterlands don't find high falutin' nonsense to be very interesting.