Re: CORRECTION: Document Action: 'Terminology Used in Internationalization in the IETF' to Informational

On torsdag, mar 13, 2003, at 10:10 US/Pacific, ned.freed@mrochek.com wrote:

FWIW, I think the document is far better than having nothing in this area.
I completely agree.
This was what I heard during the telechat, and what I recommended _together_ with a note that we would only tell the RFC-Editor we didn't object (so they if they feel they really have to, can say no).

John has a particular axe to grind (he wants the influence of the Unicode
Consortium on the world's internationalization efforts reduced), and is
grinding that axe pretty hard.
Indeed. And if past experience is any indication (e.g., the charset terminology
discussion) it will turn out to be that it is only his private splitting maul
that's on the grinder.
I would like to add that unfortunately Paul and John really don't go together. But, also that we need them both in the IETF for I18N discussions. Sigh, this is not easy.

Where should we go from here?
I say reword the problematic paragraph per Allison and Randy's suggestions
and move on.
I find this being a good suggestion.

We (IESG as well as IETF) have other things to do than splitting hairs. There are so many documents which are _not_ produced which need help.

I'll try to summarize.

paf