nsiim BOF report (Fwd)

>----------------Begin Forwarded Message----------------<

Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 09:06:25 +0900
From: "Jun-ichiro itojun Hagino" <itojun@iijlab.net>
Subject: nsiim BOF report
To: iab@ietf.org

	what "IP mobility" means in the BOF:
	movement wrt an existing and stable infrastructure (L3 mobility)
	baseline for IP mobility: mobile-ip4, mobile-ip6
	it is NOT: manet, nemo, pana/aaa, L2 mobility

	BOF summary:
	split mobileip WG into two: mip4 and mip6.
	IRTF should develop measurement framework/parameter/methodology for
	IP mobility (new RG).  Mark's summary does meet my observation.

	overall feeling:
	The BOF was like another slot of mobileip.  People just talked about
	split of mobile-ip4 and mobile-ip6, that's all.  Detailed items like
	fast handover, hierarchical mobile-ip6, optimization of base protocol,
	are kept intact (i.e. they will keep working on it in mip6 group).

	My biggest worry against mobileip (mip6) group is that they does not
	seem to finsh the base specification, and it keeps mobile-ip6 from
	getting widely deployed/tested (i say "tested" as i'm skeptical if
	mobile-ip6 will really scale, or really has demands).
	I'd suggest mobileip chairs to focus onto actual protocol development
	(get the job done), and forget about micromanagement like this BOF.

itojun