Re: Trigtran BOF

[Re-sending to get IESG on the thread.  -- LLD]

Bernard Aboba wrote:
I was somewhat disappointed in this BOF.

I was hoping for a thoughtful approach that would involve a problem description, a survey of existing media and an evaluation of potential existing solutions (either published as an I-D or RFC proposed in the research literature), as a prelude to a future design effort.

Instead, it seemed like the BOF started from the conclusion that what was needed was work on very specific potential solutions relating to specific "triggers" such as "link up". In my mind at least, the problem wasn't very well stated, and there wasn't much discussion of why that problem was important to solve and the potential solutions and their pros and cons. There was disagreement on whether the problem was a real one that was important to solve.

It worries me that this is becoming a trend within the transport area (RDDP is another example) -- multiple BOFs and charters without basic groundwork work items. This should raise questions both about process as well as about how we evaluate whether proposed WGs have the resources required to make rapid progress.

For example, is the core TCP and media expertise available to complete the proposed work? Is the expertise available to evaluate proposed solutions? (e.g. experiments, simulations, etc.)? Have security resources been identified to evaluate some of the (scary) security implications? For example, if unauthenticated triggers can be sent, this could be disruptive.

My sense is that the critical resources are not in place for this work to succeed, although the work itself may be worthwhile.

"Reality:
Yours to discover."
-- ThinkingCat
Leslie Daigle