Re: Permission to copy/publish your IETF draft document

This is absolutely not acceptable.

There is good reason why this document has not been moved forward to RFC status.  This document is not meant to ever be published.  It is a place holder to ensure that some very controversial ideas are maintained for further discussion.

Please remove the text of this draft from the ITU-T.  Please send me the contact information for the Chair of ITU-T Study Group 9.

Thank you.

Jeffrey Altman

Christie Poland wrote:
Message
Gentlemen:

As authors of the draft IETF RFC, CableLabs kindly requests your permission to copy verbatim the entire text of the following RFC:

<draft-ietf-cat-krb-dns-locate-02.txt>

We referenced this draft RFC in our PacketCable Security Specification last year. When it was submitted to the ITU-T (International Telecommunications Union - Telecommunications Standardization Sector) Study Group 9 as a US contribution, we recognized that a normative reference to an IETF draft was not acceptable to the ITU. So, we instead inserted the entire text of the draft RFC as Annex E of the document. Study Group 9 approved the document last year as J.170, IPCablecom Security Recommendation.

As the IETF copyright policy does not cover draft RFCs, ITU-T and IETF has now requested we receive your permission to include the text in J.170. We were not aware of the copyright policy distinction between regular RFCs and drafts; otherwise we would have submitted this request to you last year. If possible, please let me know in writing by this Friday, March 28 if you grant ITU permission to publish your draft text as Annex E to J.170. (I will be out of the office from 3/31 to 4/14.)

Note: We realize version -03 is the latest version; however, the -02 version is what was approved by ITU and they are anxious to publish the Recommendation. We will update the reference when we take in updates to J.170, which we anticipate might happen either at the Dec '03 meeting or the 2004 meeting.

Thanks and best regards,

Christie Poland
Standards Manager
Cable Television Laboratories, Inc.