RE: Evaluation: draft-zhao-slp-remote-da-discovery - Finding Remote Directory Agents and Service Agents in the Service Location Protocol via DNS SRV to Proposed Standard

>                     Yes    No-Objection  Discuss *  Abstain
> Jon Peterson        [   ]     [   ]       [ x ]      [   ]

One small concern:

I have a little trouble reconciling this document with the original
applicability of SLP - I thought the whole point of SLP is that clients
didn't need to know anything about where services lived on the network, just
the type of service the client wanted to access (SLP would then find an
appropriate local incarnation of that service). But the behavior in Section
5 seems to suggest that clients need to be aware of the names of remote
domains where they suspect interesting services are deployed, and so on,
which seems to entail some significant knowledge on the part of the client.
If the virtue of SLP is that it allows clients to be ignorant of the
hostnames of local services, is it still useful when clients have to know
remote domain names for desired services? Some motivation for this
capability, as well as consideration of the impact on the applicability
statement in rfc2608, would have been welcome.