Fwd: FYI: Site Local

On request from Margeret...

  paf

Begin forwarded message:

From: Margaret Wasserman <mrw@windriver.com>
Date: tor apr 3, 2003 16:01:55 Europe/Stockholm
To: Patrik Fältström <paf@cisco.com>
Cc: Leif Johansson <leifj@it.su.se>, Kurt Erik Lindqvist <kurtis@kurtis.pp.se>, Måns Nilsson <mansaxel@sunet.se>
Subject: Re: FYI: Site Local

I have heard about this rumor. Sigh... Is it 50-50 including the meeting, or just on the mailing list?
Just the mailing list...

By my current quick count, we are at 33 YES, 35 NO. This brings the
total count to 135 YES, 55 NO... which is getting a bit too "rough",
don't you think?

I actually think that there is consensus within the IETF to deprecate
site-locals, but we don't really have a way to poll the IETF. So,
I'd like to make sure that the word gets out to more people about the
poll currently taking place on the IPv6 list.

Maybe you could forward the consensus call to some of the IESG members
who haven't weighed in yet (Alex, Allison, Bill, Harald, Bert, any of the
new guys...). I know that the old IESG was adamantly anti-site-local.

We also haven't heard from many IAB members (just Rob Austein, you
and Itojun, I think). Do you know if others have opinions?

I would also have expected to hear more from the DNS and security
communities -- if you know a good place to reach clued members
of these communities, please do.

It is probably a bit questionable for me to be circulating this
consensus call off of the IPv6 list, but I don't think that we will
get a result that is representative of IETF opinion, otherwise.
When I wasn't a WG chair, even I couldn't stand to actually read the
IPv6 list... So, I know that there are many interested folks who
haven't seen this call.

Margaret