How large are IETF mailing lists?

Hi-

There was a thread a few weeks ago where the topic of mailing list
sizes came up and it occurred to me that no one really has a good idea
of the typical size of IETF mailing lists.  So, I asked the working
group chairs to send me the size of their lists.  I also received some
list sizes from helpful folks who host mailing lists, not the least of
which was Brett at Fortec who submitted info for all the ietf.org
lists.  Some of the information I received was for the same lists and
if they differed I selected the smaller list as some folks were able
to subtract inactive subscriptions.

Caveats to consider when looking at this data include:

  - There are inactive/broken subscriptions included in some counts,
    anecdotally this can be as much as 20% of the total.

  - Some subscriptions are lists themselves, hiding an unknown number
    of readers.

  - Not all wgs are listed here. I only listed what I receieved.

  - Some lists here are not working groups, some are expired working
    groups.  I've included the notes that I've received.

This is cleaned up data with no analysis.  Draw your own conclusions.
I'm including the data twice, sorted by size and by listname.

Enjoy,

--aaron
ietf-announce	       4000 (approx)
diffserv	       2285
ietf		       1950 (approx)
sip		       1840
mobileip	       1797
manet		       1757
pkix		       1263
sipping		       1154
tewg		       1047
tcpsat		       1040 (dead wg)
beep			979
routing-discussion	950
megaco			879
idr			771
avt			766
sigtran			760
impp			760
policy			757
pwe3			734
ccamp			674
tsvwg			656
aaa			625
ippm			603
dhcwg			595
enum			587
namedroppers		586
seamoby			561
apex			559
nsis			531
l2tpext			525
nemo			518
isis-wg			518
midcom			516
ipsp			498
v6ops			497
pilc			495
rmt			492
asrg			489
pim			488
smime			483
ldapext			475
rmonmib			462
ssm			459
ipsra			427
ipp			413
tls		        409
cfrg			400
nat			389
idn			381
bgmp			365
ediint			358
bmwg			358
imrg			357
diffserv-interest	357
mmusic			351
iporpr			346
multi6			333
forces			331
raven			323
openpgp			323
rpsec			314
rohc			307
cdn			307
calsched		297
ipcdn			295
ietf-geopriv		293
magma			280
ipfix			270
provreg			266
simple			265
rap			264
dccp			263
fax			255
rps			253
opes			252
nfsv4			245
ldup			241
ipoverib		240
ieprep			239
gsmp			232
disman			231
gsmp			230
vrrp			228
krb-wg			216
ipr-wg			212
iptel			204
speechsc		193
sacred			192
rserpool		188
rddp			181
ietf-822	        179
agentx			178
sasl			176
ietf-mixer		176 (WG long dead, list still available but not active)
ifmib			167
ietf-madman		167 (WG dead, list still available but not active)
pwot.now.pwe3		163
malloc			163
eos			160
entmib			158
discuss			158
psamp			153
sming			146
imapext			146
ietf-charsets		141 (charsets review list, not a WG list)
ietf-censored		141
hubmib			140
kink			139
dcp			139