Re: Another IESG Charter revision

--On tirsdag, april 08, 2003 12:22:00 -0700 Alex Zinin <zinin@psg.com> wrote:

Thomas,

I tend to agree. But, note, just what the "right thing" is has in some
sense become a political question. :-(
Of course, but that's what the NomCom is for. If my feeling of the
"right thing" is way far from what most of the community feels, I'll
be told so, but I think it is important that we can exercise our
judgement.
the nomcom works on a 2-year cycle per AD, so it's a slow feedback process.

What Scott replied back to me when I asked was this:

the written process does not have a individual-ad-iesg path
(it also does not have a statement that says that the
individual-ad-iesg path was not permitted)

rfc 2026 sec 4.2.3 does have the ruleset "should be submitted
directly to the RFC Editor"

so this has been the almost universially used path for as long
as I was on the IESG - I expect that there were a few docs
(though only one comes to mind - the power over mpls one)
that took the individual-ad-iesg-path but not many

also Klensin specifically complained that the individual-ad-iesg
path was being improperly used to give priority to some individual
IDs (he did this at a plenary session in the last year)

his complaint was that he had heard a number of people say that
specific ADs said that they would push thorugh individual IDs
quickly if the ID was sent to them (and also the ADs were saying
that this was better than going the RFC Ed route because that was too
slow)

fwiw - I think that there should be a public discussion if
the IESG wants to have a way to give some individual non-wg IDs
priority over others  (which is what I think is being asked here)

my main message is a request to define clearly what IDs can get this
treatment in a way that folks can understand and so that people
can not complain of unfair treatment
(extracted out of 3 different messages)

If we want to claim to be bound by 2026, we shouldn't break a "should" from that document without any particular reason to.

I suggested "AD thinks it's important to the IETF" as a criterion, which should give us the latitude for doing this when important - and if it's not important, why bother?

Remember - these procedures are for Informational/Experimental individual submissions ONLY.

Note to Thomas: If I have the SLP "set" right, at least one is currently headed for Proposed (slp-remote-da-discovery), and another in the queue for Experimental was originally proposed for Proposed (slp-da-interaction).
slp-customization seems to be the only one that has in fact followed this path. (Standard disclaimer about finding all the right docs apply....)

Harald