Re: Another IESG Charter revision

--On tirsdag, april 08, 2003 14:38:53 -0400 Randy Bush <randy@psg.com> wrote:

1.1 The role of the IESG The Internet Engineering Steering
	Group (IESG) is the group that exists to perform the
	overarching operational and technical management functions
	of the Internet Engineeering Task Force (IETF).
s/exists to//
changed from previous versions - I wanted to emphasize that the
IESG doesn't have any other purpose than to be IETF
management. The previous version had "is the function", but
Brian Carpenter didn't like a group of people being called a
function. Better language?
"exists to" adds zero semantic protein and sounds domineering

s/overarching//
the point raised was that WG chairs perform management functions
too. I wanted some way to say that the IESG doesn't do all the
management functions of the IETF, but that "the buck stops
here". Better language?
The Internet Engineering Steering Group (IESG) is where the buck
stops for the internal operational and all technical management
functions of the Internet Engineeering Task Force (IETF).
you mean actually saying what I mean.....? what a novel concept :-)
is "the buck stops here" sufficiently integrated into world-wide English to use without problems in an IETF document? (asks the non-American)

o  The IETF Chair, who may also function as an Area Director when
   appropriate
who is also the director of the general area.  do not imply that
this gives you the position to be the AD for arbitrary wgs.
I had the general area in the previous version, and John Klensin
told me to avoid casting the existence of that area, or the need
for the chair to be an AD, in stone.
no areas are cast in stone.  then

The IETF Chair also currently functions as the Area Director of
the General Area.
works.

   However, discussion of personnel matters and possibly legal and
   financial matters may sometimes be required to be kept confidential,
   and the chair may, with the consent of the full members, exclude
   liaison and ex officio members whose presence is seen as
   inappropriate for the particular discussion from such discussions.
also exclusion of conflicted folk when discussing things such as
appeals
mumble. The tradition has been that the IESG discusses an appeal against
a  decision with all ADs present, including the AD responsible for the
area in  which the appealed decision was taken.
This has been thought to be good because it provided maximum information
about the background - I think.
What about the following strawman?
   <t>The chair may also apply exclusion to full members who have a
   serious conflict of interest on an issue. Members can also
   choose to recuse themselves from discussion of an issue, or refrain
   from casting a vote on an issue, if they feel that is
   appropriate.</t>
i was specifically thinking of exclusion of iab folk
we have a specific para on appeals now. I'll add that exclusion there (for version -03).

Harald