Re: teh IETF's "bad call"

>I did not read Baker's comment to say that the IETF could have stopped
>CALEA - but that we could have defined a particular way to do
>this and there would thus be a better default way (instead of
>multiple pripority ways that might not have had anywhere as
>complete a technical/security review)

The IETF is an international organization.  It therefore seemed and
seems inappropriate to define standards on the basis of local legal
requirements.

It's not clear to me how the international community would come up
with a common consensus on wiretapping requirements.  However, should
there be such a consensus, then I believe it might be appropriate for
the IETF to define standards to meet those requirements.

 - Mark