Re: [Iesg-only] draft-zeilenga-ldap-user-schema

Randy:

how come iesg-only?
The dialogue has moved to the IESG list. My original posting was included in the reply posted by by Harald.

being responsible for holding the hard-ass position, i am a strong
proponenet of the simpler long-term solution.
I really want one, and only one, solution. While I have a personal preference, I am willing to the working group pick any solution. The alternative leads to lack of interoperability. The PKIX working group allowed two enrollment protocols, and the market has fragmented, some vendors supporting each one. Very few support both.

so i would suggest we publish the 'right' approach as a proposed
standard.  let the other be experimental with a clear iesg warning
at the front on the order of "this is not recommended, is a short
term hack, may not work, need not be used or implemented, renders
ineffective all birth control methods within a 10km radius, ..."
I am sure that both solutions "work." Client bloat and interoperability is my concern.

allowing scott to channel through me, he would publish both and
"let the market decide."  in iesg jargon, this became known as the
'thousand flowers' approach.  as you might guess, he and i did not
see eye to eye on this.  but he still channels through me a lot.
In some cases, failing to pick a single solution will delay market adoption. This is a judgement call, but I think this is one of those situations.

Russ