draft-ietf-mobileip-mipv6-ha-ipsec

Russ Housley [ ] [ ] [ X ] [ ]

Comments:

In section 1, ESP does not provide in order delivery. The introduction indicates that this service is needed. If this is correct, then additional protocol mechanisms are needed.

In section 3, in each instance tell whether ESP is used in transport mode or tunnel mode.

In section 4.1, the document requires support for manual security association configuration. I think this should be clear that ESP SAs are being configured, not IKE pre-shared keys. Also, the phrase "IPsec protection" really means ESP enacpsulation in many different places.

Steve Kent's comments on section 4.2, 4.3, 5.1, 5.2, and 5.3 need to be addressed (see http://psg.com/~smb/draft-ietf-mobileip-mipv6-ha-ip.htm ). Since RFC 2401 is being updated, there is an opportunity for compromise, but the MobileIP and IPsec working groups need to work together in this area.

In section 4.3, I suggest that all discussion of AH be removed.

In section 4.4, there seems to be confusion about ESP replay detection. Why not just say that IKE must be used if replay protection is needed?