draft-sun-handle-system-def

I have five comments on draft-sun-handle-system-def-07.

1. Does <AdminRef> rely on [13]? I do not believe that anyone is making updates to this registry as new algorithms come into widespread use. Perhaps a registry that is being maintained can be referenced.

2. Can <PublicKeyRecord> can contain an X.509 certificate? If so, how is key type employed? Does the client parse the certificate to determine the type of public key that is inside, or does the key type provide a hint?

3. Section 5.2 says:

... To be authenticated as the administrator, the
client has to return a challenge-response, a message that
demonstrates procession of the administrator's secret. The secret
may be the private key (or the secret key) of the administrator. If
secret key authentication is used, the challenge-response will
consist of the Message Authentication Code (MAC) over the server's
challenge, generated using the administrator's secret key. If
public key authentication is used, the challenge-response will
contain the digital signature over the challenge, generated using
the administrator's private key. This challenge-response allows the
server to authenticate the client as the handle administrator. ...

This is a very bad idea. The signer should always include a locally generated random value in the response. Otherwise, the challenge generator could construct the challenge (perhaps with great effort, employing lots of precomputation) that matches the hash value of a contract. In this way, the admin is tricked into signing a contract thinking that simple authentication was being performed. The locally-generated random value completely thwarts such an attack.

4. Section 5.3 also says:

... The MAC is
generated by applying the standard MD5 hashing over the block of
data that is made of the server's challenge concatenated with the
secret key. ...

HMAC is a much more robust data integrity mechanism. Why isn't it being used here?

5. I prefer that [10] refer to RFC 3280.

Russ