Re: Evaluation: draft-ietf-pkix-pi - Internet X.509 Public Key InfrastructurePermanent Identifier to Proposed Standard

Howdy,

I'm not that concerned about the motivation -- I believe
I did understand that from the document (though the specifics
you cite add colour :-) and was trying to make that distinction
for Steve, who didn't seem to buy it.

Where I (still) have issues with the document (not the proposal) is:

The IdentifierType field may contain either:

a) an Object Identifier (i.e. an OID), or
b) a permanent URI using IA5String.

Characteristically, when an OID is used, the prefix of the OID identifies the Assigner Authority, and a suffix is used to identify the type of permanent identifier being identified. Essentially the same thing is true of URI's.

This last sentence is the most concrete thing the document
has to say about the use of URIs as identifiers (here, identifiers
of IdentifierType).

You wrote:
So, is the question how the authorities are named? Two alternatives are supported: OIDs and URIs. OIDs have a registration process, and it is working pretty well. I have less exposure to URIs, but I know that the XML community is using them. I have not heard about any disasters, so I assume that it is working.
Issues:

1/ What is a "permanent URI"?

Is this meant to identify some ethereal subclass of
URIs that are engineered to have persistence (e.g., URNs)?

Or is there some hand-wavey assumption that the URIs
used will somehow be dedicated? But most URIs
have domain components, and while many many people
have itched to claim that these can be used as permanent
or persistent identifiers, it's simply not true -- domain
names get reassigned.

Something else entirely?

2/ "Essentially the same thing is true of URI's"

Does this mean that some prefix of the URI is intended for use as the *IdentifierType* identifier?
Would that be like "http://aa.ibm.com";? And then
is the identifier value "/someidentifier", so that
the whole URI is recomposed to "http://aa.ibm.com/someidentifier";?

Or is it supposed to be a URI to identify the IdentifierType, and a separate URI (perhaps) for
the IdentifierValue?

Or does it really not matter? (In which case, it's
not really about URIs, it's about random strings
with assertions of permanence).

As I said -- I think these are all things that could be clarified,
and I rather believe they *should* be clarified. But, that's a personal
opinion, based on rather too much exposure to URIs, their uses, and
their abuses.

Leslie.

Russ Housley wrote:
Leslie:

Let's back up to the motivation for this document. As I said, I really do not want to be seen as the advocate for this document. I was one of the loudest critics in the PKIX working group while this document was being developed. However, I do think that this aspect of the document is satisfactory.

This problem has been around for a long time. The initial solution resulted in X.509v2, which added the optional unique identifier to the certificate. This identifier did not include an authority, it just had a value. As a result, it did not really solve the problem, and no one makes use of this optional feature. This document represents the next generation.

The original driver for the development of this standard was European, where national identity cards are common practice. In fact, many of countries are issuing smart cards that contain X.509 certificates (as well as the associated private key). The inclusion of these national identifiers is important to this community.

In this situation, the authority is a particular country. I have little concern that a national infrastructure will assign the same identifier to more than one person inappropriately.

Another place where a Permanent Identifier can be used is in a company. Consider the employee number. Again, I have no concern that a company will assign the same identifier to more than one person. It would make a huge mess in the human resource database.

Some people think that a Certification Authority (CA) might do this as a service to relying parties. For example, Verisign could include a unique identifier in each certificate subject. I am not sure what customer base is demanding this service, but it seems to be a very straightforward thing to implement. In this case, the CA is authoritative for the name space.

So, is the question how the authorities are named? Two alternatives are supported: OIDs and URIs. OIDs have a registration process, and it is working pretty well. I have less exposure to URIs, but I know that the XML community is using them. I have not heard about any disasters, so I assume that it is working.

One must trust a CA to bind a public key to an identity. This is a core concept to certificates. This is just defining another form of identity that could be bound to a public key. The CA must develop procedures that ensure the robust verification of the identity before issuing the certificate. Again, this is not new. It is a burden that we already impose on the CA.

Russ