Re: Evaluation: draft-ietf-pkix-pi - Internet X.509 Public KeyInfrastructure Permanent Identifier to Proposed Standard

I think Russ points out the essential point of this naming syntax.

There are identifiers that are strictly maintained that are not maintained by CAs; in Norway, there are person numbers and company numbers, just to mention two instances; in many cases, use of these identifiers for particular applications is mandated by law.

If a CA is to contain one of these in an useful fashion, they have to be algorithmically identifiable as exactly that sort of identifier.

And I think this proposal captures that capability.