Re: Evaluation: draft-ietf-ccamp-gmpls-architecture - Generalized Multi-Protocol Label Switching Architecture to Proposed Standard

--On 10. april 2003 14:03 -0400 IESG Secretary <iesg-secretary@ietf.org> wrote:

                    Yes    No-Objection  Discuss *  Abstain

Harald Alvestrand   [   ]     [ X ]       [   ]      [   ]
note: this does not mean that I like it.....

In particular, I don't like the fact that the document can't decide whether it's an architecture, an introduction or a specification. It goes into lots of details that are ALMOST specified, but then just says that these are "finished elsewhere" - sometimes giving, sometimes not giving, the forward pointers.

It's just about right (although overly detailed, and lacking some pointers to where the "real spec" is) for an introduction.

It also *contains* an architecture description - the idea of a control plane that is a fully connected IP network (with, apparently, manual link configuration), a set of links that are not necessarily the control links, and in many cases not even IP-capable links, and groupings of these that can be manipulated and controlled in various ways, and a set of protocols and ways to use those protocols that are defined in other documents.

But the lenght and the level of detail means that it's very hard for me to be sure I have grasped that architecture correctly and fully.

And - note - I have said nothing about whether or not I *like* that architecture.

Note: It will be a while before this is published as an RFC. There are no less than thirteen "works in progress" in its normative references.

Harald