Re: Evaluation: draft-vaudreuil-mdnbis - Message Disposition Notification to Draft Standard

In message <01KV9VI5C99E009OSM@mauve.mrochek.com>, ned.freed@mrochek.com writes
:
>> In message <200304162025.QAA15673@ietf.org>, IESG Secretary writes:
>> >
>> >Last Call to expire on: 2002-12-23
>> >
>> >	Please return the full line with your position.
>> >
>> >                    Yes    No-Objection  Discuss *  Abstain
>> >

>> >Steve Bellovin      [   ]     [   ]       [ X ]      [   ]
>
>> This section:
>
>>      The comparison of the addresses should be done using only the addr-
>>      spec (local-part "@" domain) portion, excluding any phrase and route.
>>      The comparison MUST be case-sensitive for the local-part and case-
>>      insensitive for the domain part.
>
>> has security implications -- a source-routed address is not necessarily
>> the same as the absolute address with the same name.
>
>Um, well, actually, we have been saying that it is supposed to be the same,
>going back as far as RFC 1123. A source route is supposed to be merely a
>routing indicator that may or may not even be honored, it is not supposed to b
>a namespace qualifier.
>
>While I've seen considerable unevenness in support for source routes over the
>years, I can't recall a case where I found one being used to qualify addresses
>as belonging to a separate namespace. (The same cannot be said of % hacks or !
>paths, of course -- they were commonly used for that. And don't get me started
>about X.400...)

>From an architectural perspective, you're absolutely right.  But I'm
talking about this from a security and privacy perspective, and the bad
guys break the rules.  This is just one way to accomplish the privacy
violation described below.