FW: Last Call: Handling of Unknown DNS Resource Record Types to Proposed Standard

Erik,

Sorry for being late on this.  Jon's recent comment reminded me
of the outstanding issue.

The IANA Consideratios says the following:

9. IANA Considerations

   The IANA is hereby requested to verify that specifications for new RR
   types requesting an RR type number comply with this specification.
   In particular, the IANA MUST NOT assign numbers to new RR types whose
   specification allows embedded domain names to be compressed.

This is not quite clear yet.  If we receive a request for a RR type
number, I understand the specification for the RR type should comply
with this specification.  I'm worried about haveing the expertise to
be able to review the spec and make sure that it complies with this
doc and to decide whether or not the spec allows embedded domain names.

Will there be an expert for these types of requests to assist the IANA?

Hope that makes my concerns clear.

Thanks,

Michelle