anycast for emergency

see end

From: Masataka Ohta <mohta@necom830.hpcl.titech.ac.jp>
To: randy@psg.com
Subject: anycast for emergency
Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 00:21:13 +0859 ()

Randy;

I have prepared an attached ID and there is an ISP who will
willingly become an ISOC gold member if it
will help the proposal quickly ratified by IETF.

How, do you think as an officer of IETF/ISOC, likely will it be?

How will it be with platinum membership?

							Masataka Ohta
--

INTERNET DRAFT                                                   M. Ohta
draft-ohta-emergency-00.txt                Tokyo Institute of Technology

                    Emergency IPv4 Anycast Addresses

Status of this Memo

   This document is an Internet-Draft and is subject to all provisions
   of Section 10 of RFC2026.

   Internet-Drafts are working documents of the Internet Engineering
   Task Force (IETF), its areas, and its working groups.  Note that
   other groups may also distribute working documents as Internet-
   Drafts.

   Internet-Drafts are draft documents valid for a maximum of six months
   and may be updated, replaced, or obsoleted by other documents at any
   time.  It is inappropriate to use Internet- Drafts as reference
   material or to cite them other than as "work in progress."

   The list of current Internet-Drafts can be accessed at
   http://www.ietf.org/1id-abstracts.html

   The list of Internet-Draft Shadow Directories can be accessed at
   http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html

Abstract

   As the Internet becomes the basic information infrastructure of the
   society, it is required to support well known addresses, or well
   known domain names mapped to the addresses, for emergency use to
   contact entities reacting for emergency such as ambulance, fire
   fighters and police.

   As the addresses are expected to be well known nation wide but, at
   the same time, reach local entities, the addresses are anycast ones.

1. Introduction

   As the Internet becomes the basic information infrastructure of the
   society, it is required to support well known addresses, or well
   known domain names mapped to the addresses, for emergency use to
   contact entities reacting for emergency such as ambulance, fire
   fighters and police.

   As the addresses are expected to be well known nation wide but, at
   the same time, reach local entities, the addresses are anycast ones.

M. Ohta               Expires on November 19, 2003              [Page 1]

INTERNET DRAFT      Emergency IPv4 Anycast Addresses            May 2003

2. Stability

   Anycast is a technology to share an IP address by multiple servers.
   Usually, the nearest (or best) server is chosen by a metric (or
   policy) of dynamic routing protocol that anycast has a stability
   concern that the server changes dynamically as route changes, in
   which case TCP connections break.  However, in this case, the local
   entity to contact is likely to be chosen statically by policy that
   there is no such concern.

   On the other hand, entities reacting for emergency should maintain
   its reachability from others even if there is some route or server
   failure that the entities should be connected to multiple ISPs (which
   is not necessarily multihoming, as the internal IP network of the
   entity may be disjoint) and have multiple servers with different
   anycast addresses and different outgoing ISPs. Client should try all
   the IP addresses of the entities.

While an anycast IP address range requires an entry in a routing table,
   a nation is expected to require only a small number (there is a
   limitation to let most of the people remember them even at the
   emergency) of ranges that it will not cause an scalability problem on
   the number of routing table entries.

4. Assigned Addresses

   The following address ranges are assigned for emergency IPv4 anycast
   addresses.

      (several /24 ranges to be assigned by IANA)

   Semantics of the address ranges varies nation by nation and, if
   necessary, should be properly legislated domestically.

4. Security Considerations

   There is no security issue specifically for the emergency IPv4
   anycast addresses

5. Author's Address

   Masataka Ohta
   Graduate School of Information Science and Engineering
   Tokyo Institute of Technology
   2-12-1, O-okayama, Meguro-ku, Tokyo 152-8552, JAPAN

M. Ohta               Expires on November 19, 2003              [Page 2]

INTERNET DRAFT      Emergency IPv4 Anycast Addresses            May 2003

   Phone: +81-3-5734-3299
   Fax: +81-3-5734-3299
   EMail: mohta@necom830.hpcl.titech.ac.jp

M. Ohta               Expires on November 19, 2003              [Page 3]

> I have prepared an attached ID and there is an ISP who will
> willingly become an ISOC gold member if it
> will help the proposal quickly ratified by IETF.

such attempted bribery would only prejudice against any proposal.
they should be embarrassed.

randy