Re: Last Call: A Practice for Revoking Posting Rights to IETFmailing lists to BCP

Some comments...

## Network Working Group M. Rose
## Internet-Draft Dover Beach Consulting, Inc.
## Expires: November 10, 2003 May 12, 2003
##
##
## A Practice for Revoking Posting Rights to IETF mailing lists
## draft-mrose-ietf-posting-03
## 1. Introduction
## of abusive or othewise inappropriate postings to IETF mailing lists

s/othewise/otherwise/

## include:
##
## o announcements of conferences, events, or activities that are not
## sponsored or endorsed by the Internet Society or IETF.

What does "sponsored by the ... IETF" mean? Is there a way the IETF sponsors something?

## produce the desired modification in behaviour. However, when those
## guidelines fail to provide the desired modification in behaviour,

I don't know if this qualifies as a misspelling or just a different version of English, but both instances of "behaviour" are flagged by my mailer's spell checker.

## 2. A Revocation Practice
##
## o maintainers of any IETF mailing list may, at their discretion,
## also remove posting rights to that IETF mailing list.

What is an IETF mailing list? Clearly the list of a group, but DNSEXT lists three on their charter page. Additionally, provreg may soon close down but the mail list continues on - what happens if the list is used to run the next round (Draft Standard) effort? Is it an IETF list in the interim?

## Working groups SHOULD ensure that their associated mailing list is
## manageable. For example, some may try to circumvent the revocation of
## their posting rights by changing email addresses.

I can't see how one can deterministically do this. "On the Internet, no one knows you're a dog." Sorry to be so negative about this point, but I felt compelled to mention it. Perhaps the making the above suggestion is better than not.

Edward Lewis +1-703-227-9854
ARIN Research Engineer

Your office is *not* a reality-based sit-com TV show.