RE: IANA Matrix project - Enterprise Numbers

The matrix has this entry:

   Enterprise Numbers    (?)    Iana assignment

I think that that branch in the OID tree has been assigned to
IANA by the IAB as documented in RFC1155, sections 3.1 and
3.1.4.

None of these sections say anything about the rules for
new assignments, but I think they basically are FCFS.

IANA, Paf and I recently (well, a few months ago) had a discussion
about these concerning the question if one company could have
multiple code points for sub-divisions... I think you want to
be a bit reluctant for such requests, but not too much.
When two companies merge and they already have their own
enterprise number, then that merged company has multiple too.

There is no architectural limit on those numbers. But, since they
are used in SNMP protocol, that would limit them to 4 billion.
They are also used in SNMP 32bit integer fields (like SnmpSecurityModel)
where there are 23 bits for enterprise identification, so that
allows for 8,388,608 enterprises. Currently some 17,140 have been
assigned.

Thanks,
Bert