Re: Draft Minutes of May 29, 2003 Telechat

Ted:

I cleared Jeff Schiller's DISCUSS if an RFC Editor's note was added with the following replacement text for the security considerations section of draft-legg-ldap-gser:

The Generic String Encoding Rules do not define a canonical encoding.
That is, a transformation from a GSER encoding into some other
encoding (e.g. BER) and back into GSER will not necessarily reproduce
exactly the original GSER octet encoding. Therefore GSER MUST NOT
be used where a canonical encoding is needed.

Furthermore, GSER does not necessarily enable the exact octet
encoding of values of the TeletexString, VideotexString,
GraphicString or GeneralString types to be reconstructed, so a
transformation from DER to GSER and back to DER is not likely to
reproduce the original DER encoding. Therefore GSER MUST NOT be
used in any protocols where recovery of an original binary object
is needed. Such recovery is needed for the verification of digital
signatures. In such cases, protocols ought to use DER or another
canonical encoding.

When interpreting security-sensitive fields, and in particular fields
used to grant or deny access, implementations MUST ensure that any
comparisons are done on the underlying abstract value, regardless of
the particular encoding used.

Russ