Issue with -00 cut-off

So, I have been annoyed for some time by the arbitrary
early cut-off for -00 documents, and I finally realized
who I should complain to about it...

I understand, and support, the notion that new documents
should be published three weeks before the IETF to allow
time for review.

However, the version numbering rules of the secretariat
sometimes require that new versions of existing documents
be published as -00 documents:

	- Documents that are moving from individual
		status to a WG work item (i.e.
		draft-ietf-<wgname>-*-00.txt)
	- Documents that are republished after a
		WG name change, or being assigned
		to a new WG (I know that this is
		*supposed* to be uncommon, but
		two of the three WGs I've run
		(ipng -> ipv6 and ngtrans -> v6ops)
		have had this happen.
	- Documents that are split into more than
		one document.

People in my groups have consistently misunderstood
the need to produce their updated documents by the
early deadline, and in these cases, the secretariat has
required them to change the name back to the original
name before publication at the second deadline -- in
fact, sometimes the secretariat changes the name for
us, when we explain that this is really an update
to draft-foo-04.txt (the secretariat publishes it as
draft-foo-05.txt), not a new document.

Is there some way that we can get an exception when a
-00 document is really a continuation of an existing
document?  Or, could we get the secretariat to understand
the purpose of this rule, instead of arbitrarily enforcing
the -00 rule?

Margaret