Re: draft-ietf-ipv6-unicast-aggr-v2-02.txt

Randy,

> where the global routing prefix is a (typically hierarchically-
> structured) value assigned to a site (a cluster of subnets/links),
> the subnet ID is an identifier of a subnet within the site, and the
> interface ID is as defined in section 2.5.1 of [ARCH]. The global
> routing prefix is designed to be hierarchically structured by
> the RIRs and ISPs, and the subnet field is designed to be hierarchically
> structured by site administrators.
>
> OK?

reviewer sez the appended. i.e., the interface-id is contentious with
operators and is document elsewhere anyway. so why are we picking a fight
by repeating it here?
I don't think the mention of interface id should be contentious for people as it is a basic part of IPv6 global unicast addresses and is implemented widely.

randy

---

That's excellent by me, assuming that the implied context was to remove
the text below from the spec.  Otherwise, I'm not sure what was intended;
just fix a paragraph in page 3?
Yes, the intent was to just fix the paragraph and to not remove the rest of the text. That text is there as a result of the discussion on the working group mailing list and summarizes current practice.

Bob

   [ARCH] also requires that all unicast addresses, except those that
   start with binary value 000, have Interface IDs that are 64 bits long
   and to be constructed in Modified EUI-64 format.  The format of
   global unicast address in this case is:

      |         n bits          | 64-n bits |       64 bits              |
      +-------------------------+-----------+----------------------------+
      | global routing prefix   | subnet ID |       interface ID         |
      +-------------------------+-----------+----------------------------+

   where the routing prefix is a value assigned to identify a site (a
   cluster of subnets/links), the subnet ID is an identifier of a subnet
   within the site, and the interface ID is in modified EUI-64 format as
   defined in [ARCH].

   An example of the resulting format of global unicast address under
   the 2000::/3 prefix that is currently being delegated by the IANA and
   consistent with the recommendations in RFC3177 is:

      | 3 |     45 bits         |  16 bits  |       64 bits              |
      |001|global routing prefix| subnet ID |       interface ID         |