Re: Document Blocking (Was: I-D

Hi Harald,

I have a question regarding mail that you sent on the
problem list in response to a question from me:

At 02:13 PM 5/21/2003 +0200, you wrote:
Also, some AD review comments and DISCUSS comments are really
about matters of taste -- the belief that a section should be
removed from a document because it is redundant (not wrong,
just redundant), the opinion that some historical note should be
added explaining why something was done a particular way, etc.
In those cases, there may be no right or wrong.  In general,
the IESG wins because they can block publication of the document.
Do you think that's reasonable?
No. Those issues should be labelled COMMENT, not DISCUSS.
Within the context of the above mail, could you explain to me
why the DISCUSS comments that Randy currently has open against
draft-ietf-ipv6-unicast-aggr-v2-02.txt are labelled DISCUSS
and not COMMENT?

The latest comments from Randy on this document concern the
opinion of one of his ops-dir reviewers that we shouldn't
mention the 64-bit IID length in this document, because
64-bit IIDs are "contentious".  He isn't claiming that this
document says anything technically wrong, just that he
wants us to remove the reference to 64-bit IIDs:

Two comments from Randy:

"reviewer sez the appended. i.e., the interface-id is contentious
with operators and is document elsewhere anyway. so why are we
picking a fight by repeating it here?"

-and-

"but the point is that this is not needed here, as it is covered
in the appropriate document."

So, I think that this falls pretty firmly into the category
of a section that is redundant (not wrong, just redundant).

But, as far as I know, Randy can block publication of this
document until we remove the mention of the 64-bit IIDs.  Is
that how this is supposed to work?  In what way is this
consistent with your answer above?

I don't consider this to be a big issue either way -- we have
a fixed-size 64-bit IID in IPv6, whether we mention it here
or not...  I'm just trying to understand how the process is
supposed to work, and this trivial, non-critical document
seems like a good educational example.

BTW, I have never seen a non-blocking COMMENT from an AD.  How
would those comments be communicated to us?

Margaret