Into principles.... Re: Poll for telechats around Vienna, yet again

--On 23. juni 2003 15:33 -0700 Randy Bush <randy@psg.com> wrote:

[x] Thursday before Vienna and Thursday after Vienna
i think that's our job
my thinking....

our job is to make the Internet work.
the IETF's part of that job is to make high quality, timely Internet standards.
the IESG's part of that job is to manage, review and approve.
the IESG's responsibility is to make the right decision in a timely fashion.

part of getting the right decisions is to make sure we have the right persons to make them, which means that wearing out existing IESGers is bad.

a telechat has a cost. the telechats around Vienna have a higher personal cost to IESGers and secretariat staff than most (which also increases the error rate of both groups). the benefits of the telechat before Vienna seem to be higher than most. It's unclear that the benefits of the telechat after Vienna are higher than usual; it may be lower, especially when we have the telechat before.

If the cost of a telechat clearly exceeds its benefits, it should be cancelled.

I say before-not-after.

(I would apply the same logic to telechats on December 25 and other days that have significant personal cost to a significant number of participants, btw.)
Harald