Re: draft-pillay-esnault-ospf-flooding-05.txt

Pekka,

> By the way, we recently got it by a problem in our network which seems to
> be of some relation to this specification.

> Between two major router vendors' OSPF code, there is an interop problem
> regarding bogus LSA's when the router-id changed (OSPF RFC sections 14.1
> and 13.4).  Basically this resulted in the MaxAge outage of one hour.

> Oops.  If the spec is implemented, the outage is infinite.  The old
> entries are never purged.

RFC 1793:

   2.3.  Removing stale DoNotAge LSAs

      Because LSAs with the DoNotAge bit set are never aged, they can
      stay in the link state database even when the originator of the
      LSA no longer exists. To ensure that these LSAs are eventually
      flushed from the routing domain, and that the size of the link
      state database doesn't grow without bound, routers are required to
      flush a DoNotAge LSA if BOTH of the following conditions are met:

        (1) The LSA has been in the router's database for at least
            MaxAge seconds.

        (2) The originator of the LSA has been unreachable (according to
            the routing calculations specified by Section 16 of [1]) for
            at least MaxAge seconds.

Alex