Re: Bad title change on document in the 48-hour queue

At 2:33 PM -0700 7/3/03, Bill Fenner wrote:
Alternately, use the well-known acronym for triple-DES:
Triple-Data Encryption Standard (3DES)

I agree that "Triple-Data Encryption Standard (DES)" makes it look like
"DES" is an abbreviation for "Triple-Data Encryption Standard".
This works for me. It is certainly more accurate than "DES". Spelling it as "TripleDES" is also fine; both seem to be in common use in the non-security world.

(As a non-security person, I can't expand AES but I know it's an
encryption protocol.  I can't expand SHA but I know it's a hash
algorithm.  I just looked up AES, and I don't think I would recognize
"Advanced Encryption Standard" as the encryption algorithm that NIST
chose om in 2002.  My opinion is that acronyms like DES, AES, SHA, MD5
are appropriate in RFC titles, as expanding them does not necessarily
make things more clear, even (perhaps especially) to people who aren't
experts in the field.)
Agree.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--VPN Consortium