Evaluation: draft-ietf-ips-fcip-slp-07.txt

Ted Hardie          [   ]     [   ]       [ x ]      [   ]

In the section on how to deal with NATs and NAPTs, the draft
says:

   - Use the default IANA-assigned FCIP TCP port number in service URLs,
     when possible.

   - If  advertising  service URLs through a translating device (e.g., a
     NAT/NAPT device), and the FQDN, IP address, or  TCP  port  will  be
     translated,  the  translating  device  can  provide  an SLPv2 proxy
     capability to do the translation.

I don't think I understand how the first one helps (is there some default
mapping through NAPTs presumed for well known ports?)  For the second,
the point is that those inside a private address realm often don't know that
there is a NA(P)T between them and some user, and there can be
multiple ones in the path.  I suspect the right answer is not fix this
in this particular document, but just note that "SLP advertisements
that occur inside a private address realm may be unreachable outside
that realm" and refer back to the SLP docs description of scope for
SLP.

Also, the security considerations in the templates chain badly.  The first one
points to the concrete service template which says "See later section".