Response from a former IMPP Chair (Re: Last Call: A Model forPresence and Instant Messaging to Proposed Standard)

WRITTEN IN MY ROLE AS FORMER IMPP CHAIR

Dave and Marshall,

I have issues with your presentation of reality.
I am unable to see technical issues of real substance in your comments; the issues seem all to be procedural, and revolve around the missing update to the WG charter.
Since I was one of the WG chairs at the two IETF meetings immediately following the "group of nine" effort, I accept responsibility for this procedural error. The charter should have been updated.

However, I must take issue with some of your presentation of how the WG decided issues, as well as some of your specific issues.
In particular, your statement:

The problem with the group's dichotomy between end-to-end vs. gateway
goals was discussed repeatedly.  Only towards the end of the working
group's effort did this appear to become resolved -- in the direction of
an end-to-end content standard.  However, even then it was clear that the
few remaining participants in the group continued to hold very different
understandings of the goal.
is directly contradicting the minutes of the December 15, 2000 meeting of the WG in San Diego, which say:

ROOT: Should messages passed wround in CPIM-compliant
Q: do we think that we need to be able to pass around a pile of bits that
can be signed: