Re: Fwd: ISO 3166-1 Newsletter V-8 on Serbia and Montenegro published

The question was

if iso has a country code for X
and X sets up servers and gets a cctld assigned
and X is later not a country
and iso assigns Y the country code previously used by X
and there are active domains previously under the cctld related to X
can Y set up servers and get the cctld assigned to it that was previously assigned to X

I *don't* think there's a problem here as the ".cs" domain doesn't appear to be active, but that's one man's groping of the DNS and the internic whois. The related question is should we suggest ICANN drop a note to ISO asking them to consider the current CCTLD structure when allocating codes and to not re-use them in the future?

At 11:01 7/23/2003, Randy Bush wrote:
> Is that going to cause problems for ICANN?  E.g. The reassignment of the
> .cs domain?  It doesn't look like its an active domain - at least it
> doesn't appear to have name servers.

the way the game is played is

  if iso has a country code for X
     then X may set up servers and get the cctld assigned

so, no, this is not a problem for icann.

randy